History of the University Library
The library originated in 1830 with the beginning of the academical forest education in Eberswalde by Friedrich Wilhelm Leopold Pfeil. The collected books since that time, magazines and maps, and the 1844 purchased private library of arrow form the basis of today's library. Users can access the predominantly historical magazine stock with over 100,000 units of media access.
The modern building of the University Library was inaugurated in April 1999.
The building, designed by the architectural firm Herzog & de Meuron combines art and architecture in a sophisticated way. Focal point of the three-storey block is the facade of printed entirely with historic photos. The building was in 1999 awarded the Brandenburg Architecture Prize.
The building is an attractive information and media offer users.
On three floors, 75,000 media and over 300 magazine covers are provided. The freely accessible inventory allows for a casual browse on the shelves. Reading places and booths are available for a relaxing work locally available. Extensive research opportunities in the electronic catalogue (OPAC), subject-specific online database and the Internet leave little questions unanswered. Collecting areas are especially forestry and hunting, wood technology, land use, nature conservation, and business administration.